Saturday, October 17, 2009

The Man Cave | October 17, 2009


The room is painted. The old ceiling fan replaced with a light. A new desk. A new set of shelves. There is nothing on the walls, but it's getting there. I'm very happy about it.

Ever since Jess moved out I've been talking about turning the room into an office. Up until now I either haven't had the time, or the energy to bother. Today Bob came over and painted it. Two weeks ago, I bought a new desk. Actually it was a dining room table so it's fairly deep, which I love. I also bought a small shelf unit that looks like it belongs in a book store. I love it.

Jane on the other hand doesn't think she'll see me downstairs anymore. Which is absurd. Of course, I'm also thinking about putting a reading chair in the corner. Earlier while I was making myself a cocktail, my daughter Julia asked if was going to move my alcohol up there as well. I thought about it.

I've wanted a nice office forever. Even when we first moved into the house, I shared the office downstairs with the kids and since both a bathroom and the laundry room where beyond the office, people were always walking through. This room is upstairs, and while it's near the bathroom, there is a door, so I can always close it if I need privacy.

Originally, I was thinking of getting heavy duty shelves to store my equipment, but now I'm thinking I can store most of it in the closet and get a club chair to put in the corner. A reading chair. Hmmmm. I feel like I just moved into a new apartment.

This basically pisses Jane off because she thinks I'd rather live alone. It's not true. I just want to have little place of my own to visit now and again. Being cut off actually is good, because there's more likely a limit to how long I'll want to be in here. Then I'll venture out to the rest of the house to see what's happening.

Before, I set my computer at the end of the dining room table, which Jane hated but accepted with grace. That way I could listen to kitchen and dining room conversation, enjoy the fire, and pretty much be as involved or uninvolved as I wanted to be. This, I think, is better.

2 comments:

JRM said...

nice! so that means i have to wait like 15 years before i finally get my office??? i want one too. you can let Jane know that it has nothing to do with wanting to live alone. i crave a place in our apartment where I can go and read and let thoughts sit long enough to ponder. i love being surrounded, almost cuddled by books.

Unknown said...

Yes. You have to wait for them to start leaving the house and even then your wife may want you to leave their bedrooms "in case they want to come home."

I say don't do it. Turn them into workout rooms, or hobby rooms, music rooms, or offices.

I know what you mean about books. I have my books, my journals, a large beautiful desk, a comfy chair with a reading lamp, and now even a television with cable.

It's mine. Mine, mine, mine. :)