Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Nestor Repairs Our Chicken Coop

We've had a tough run lately with our chickens. I built the original coop about 12 years ago, and the fencing we had had been patched over the years, but was not too secure. Three times over the last few years, we've gotten new chickens, raised them until they began laying eggs, only to have something get into the coop and kill them all.

I'd tried to use an electric fence to keep the animals away, but it was too easy for it to short out due to weeds or grass laying on the wire. Also, I didn't have the proper attachments to ensure that the animal couldn't get close to the fence in the first place. But the real issue is, when I built the original coop, I never buried the wire. What you're supposed to do is dig a trench about 6-8" down and a foot wide. This allows you the bury the wire underground and at least a foot away from the fence ensuring that if an animal tried to dig, it's going to end up hitting a hire fence underground as well.

Since I have no intention of allowing raccoons, weasels, foxes or coyotes eat any more of our chickens (the Goshen buffet is closed), I decided to build the enclosure with a heavier gauge wire, hearty fence post staples, AND dig the trench. But I wasn't going to try to do it by myself.


Nestor is single ladies.

Nestor came to my rescue. Not only is Nestor an extremely hard worker, he can do just about anything, I think. He showed up on a Saturday morning (after already putting in a few hours with another friend) and I took him out to survey the project. We determined what materials we needed, and went off to get them. He was going to stay and start tearing down the old stuff, but I insisted he come and make sure I got what I needed. It was a good plan.

Nestor ran the job and for the most part, I assisted him. Mostly holding things, or handing him things. Just an extra set of hands I guess. He did all the work. Except when it came to digging the trench. This is an area surrounded by trees and the ground was completely filled with roots of all shapes and sizes. It was backbreaking work. Again, I did what I could, but Nestor did all the hard work.

We removed all the hold posts (which were mostly rotten), ripped away all the old chicken wire, strung a line to make sure we stayed square, dug post holes keeping everything square and level, and built the frame to hold the top wire as well as keep everything strong. This thing isn't going anywhere.

I may not have done much, but I was hungover, worked 10 hours, and four days later, I'm still sore. But at least we're ready for the chicks.

After we'd ripped out the old posts and wire and replaced with a whole new frame.

Nestor

The hardest work might have been digging the trench around the outside.

Heavier gauge wire and fence stables to ensure nothing gets in.


Putting a lid on it.

The finished coop....ready for chicks.

3 comments:

Brad said...

Big Time...Looks great...Do you have any "before" pictures?

Unknown said...

Unfortunately no. I was working. Didn't even feel like getting the camera when I did, but I knew I should. It's always a good idea to shoot while you're doing stuff like this but you will get looks like "why are you goofing off?"

weakdave said...

Ahhhh, that's better. :)