Thursday, April 14, 2011

Taking Street Portraits

I've had a bunch of people ask me about taking portraits of strangers. They want to know, do I ask first, or just take the picture? It depends.

Rastafarian smoking ganja. You can tell he's not worried about me taking his picture.

When I'm in a place where I feel safe (North America or Europe for instance) I often just shoot first and ask later. Even in Russia, I often just took the shot (until the Secret Police in Red Square told me not to). If I want a direct to camera portrait, then I'll ask. Some say no, but often they say yes.

I shot in Venice Beach, CA on the boardwalk all day once, and mostly I asked. It also depends on if I'm just taking a quick shot of an interesting looking person, or if I want to stand in front of them and take a bunch of pictures. Obviously if you stand in front of someone and want to take 15-20 pictures, and you don't ask, you're going to get smacked. If I'm shooting with a telephoto lens, I'll often just steal shots. I take the picture and then look at something else immediately so that they're not really sure I was even looking at them.

In a place like Jamaica, I find someone who will take me around. A local that won't draw suspicion and who speaks the language. In Jamaica this means Patois, the unofficial language. They act as guide, interpreter, and bodyguard. They can get you into places you couldn't or wouldn't go, and can get people to open up to you. They also keep the beggars from harassing you too much.

Me having a beer with a subject. He sold beer and sodas on the beach.


Usually I give the subjects a "tip". Sometimes it's a little cash (equivalent of a buck or two), sometimes you just need to buy what they're selling, and sometimes it's a beer. As long as they don't feel like you're taking advantage of them, then they become very friendly and usually enjoy it. It takes a little teasing, a little flirting and a little conversation. A good guide also knows what's reasonable. Who you can get away with just asking, and who you need to pay.

This shot was taken before I showed her what I was doing.

After she saw her pictures, she started flirting and posing.

After I've taken a couple of pictures, I usually show them some of the pictures I've taken on the back of the camera. Then they're usually ready for me to take more.

Often the first 5, 10 or even 15 shots aren't much good. You're warming them up, not yourself. Sometimes, you take only a few. It's just a gut thing.

There are tour guides you can hire almost anywhere, but they cost a fortune (The Ritz had people on hand for $90/hour) and they want to take you to the places where all the tourists go and where they can get kick-backs. I usually find a waiter or bartender at the hotel I'm staying and convince them to take me out on their day off. I pay for their beers and lunch and then give them anywhere from $60-100 for their time.

My guide/driver/consultant/interpreter Sean. A good man.

Typically, I get to see things and hang out in places I would never go by myself, certainly not with $10k worth of camera equipment hanging around my neck. And I learn a lot.

In my opinion, you can't look at this as the cost of doing photography. I probably spent $150 the day I went out in Jamaica. Maybe only $80 in Mexico. But I look at it like an invaluable part of my vacation, and in many cases, the only authentic experience I have with the local culture. Especially when you're staying at a resort.

One last thing. It makes a big difference if you have a professional looking camera, as opposed to a $150 point and shoot. If you look like a photographer, they are more likely to feel flattered. If you pull a camera out of our back pocket and want to take their picture, it's like you're saying, "Look honey, it's one of them, take my picture with him."

Sean yucking it up with the cop writing him the ticket.
Being a photographer can come in handy though. We got pulled over in this speed trap and the camera helped lighten the mood. He ended up getting a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt. Good deal.

2 comments:

Brad McCarty said...

Good Read...Sweet Pics.

Unknown said...

Thanks Shag.