Wednesday, May 6, 2009

May 6 | Dallas

All this comfort food is making me very uncomfortable.

Been in the Big D for a couple of days now. Everyone keeps taking us to greasy spoon diners, I guess because it's like showing you were the locals hang out. The thing is, what they call comfort food isn't as comforting as I remember. It's just a heart attack on a plate. I can't say that I'm an extremely healthy eater, especially compared to many people I work with who order Salmon or a salad, or something else high in some type of cancer fighting ingredient, but compared to these people, I'm practically a vegan! I wouldn't mind so much if it was decadently bad for you. But it's just not that good. If I'm going to eat with abandon, I want to really enjoy it.



I was down here about a month ago and Cris Andrei, my producer, and I were staying at a very nice, chic hotel. We were a bit tired so we decided to just to eat at the hotel restaurant. I was looking at the menu and it had all the right ingredients to be a chi-chi, modern restaurant: heirloom this artisan that. But upon further inspection I found a dish that absolutely appalled me. Chicken fried Kobe beef. The whole point of battering and frying a piece of beef is because you're using cheap meat. The fried batter and the gravy is there to disguise the quality of the meat. You just don't take the most expensive beef on the planet and fry it!

So, I'm calling for a moratorium on diner food for the remainder of my time here. I want to eat lunch in a place where the menu selection is greater than: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. Call me a snob. Call me arrogant. I don't care. I'm already doing enough damage to my body through lack of sleep, alcohol and cigarettes. I don't need any more help.

No comments: