Thursday, April 16, 2009

Neuvo Vallarta | April 16 | Day Three

Since I slept for something like three hours yesterday afternoon (honestly it was more like evening), I woke up before dawn again. It was a stunning sunrise with not a cloud in the sky. The mountains rise up behind us and it was truly something to see. Purple mountain’s majesty, indeed.


(click on image to enlarge)

Not sure what we’re going to do today. Possibly drink a little less now that we got that out of our system. We almost always blow it out the first full day we’re on vacation. The first night you’re simply too tired and you go to bed early, waking up full of piss and vinegar. You get down to the beach, or the pool and figure, “What the hell, I’m on vacation. How about a beer?” It doesn’t matter that it’s 9am. And so you go throughout the day. Eventually you make the switch from beer to margaritas or shots of tequila, and next thing you know, you missed dinner and you don’t know what time it is.

Or maybe that’s just us.

We did miss the bullfight last night. I’d really like to go. It’s every Wednesday at 5pm. Supposedly they don’t actually kill the bulls, which seems a little disappointing somehow. It’s like being invited to a cockfight where the chickens don’t actually fight—they just stare at each other and whichever one blinks first loses. I don’t know what they do, just tease the bulls? Call them bad names?

Regardless, I want to shoot it, so I’m going to insist on going next Wednesday. I imagine a stadium full of sunburned gringos, covering their eyes in mock horror and taking pictures of themselves with the bullfighters. Like something you’d find at Disney. Hopefully I’m mistaken.

Well, we’re here on our second full day and we have yet to even attempt to workout. If the road to hell is paved with good intentions, then we’re hurtling down the road. Jane doesn’t have running shoes and I’m just lazy, I guess. What I’m really missing is my flip flops. I just can’t bring myself to get in a cab and go to the Mexican Walmart, although I know we should. It’s silly to continue to pay for room service coffee when we have a full kitchen complete with toaster, coffee maker, microwave, etc….

But the sun is rising over the top of the hotel again calling to me. People are starting to filter down, taking up places around the pool as the staff who has been cleaning the pool, mowing the lawn, and setting up chairs begins to drift away. I’m sitting on our veranda, listening to music, drinking my overpriced coffee and watching the show.

Jane is showering and I’m in next. We’ll dress and take our place by the pool. Just another day in paradise.

It certainly beats the hell out of work.

No comments: