Friday, April 24, 2009

Puerto Vallarta | April 24 | Day Eleven

Somewhere around 3am, I fell asleep and slept more or less normally until 5am, when we woke to the alarm. Earlier in the morning, I’d tried to put a glass of water back on the side table and missed completely, so now there was broken glass scattered around the floor.

Thankfully, I was no longer shivering like a crack addict and made it up, showered, and got dressed. We’d packed the night before, so there was no real work to be done. Only now, I couldn’t get anyone on the phone to help us with our bags. After a good ten minutes someone finally answered and agreed to help us.

Oh, I forgot. I’d liked some of the rings I’d seen with the vendors on the beach even better than the stuff I’d seen in the shops, so I spent the last of our pesos on rings on the beach. I needed at least 100 pesos for the cab driver.

Of course the hotel would have an ATM. Or so you would think.



I had to tip the bellman who helped us in change, apologizing in Spanglish as I went along. Like most people, my language skills deteriorate if I’m drunk, hungover, tired or all around sick. My Spanish doesn’t improve either.

The cab driver stopped at the Mexican 7-11 and withdrew $200 pesos which is about $14. Had to be the smallest amount of money I’ve taken out of an ATM since I was in college. It was perfect. Enough to pay the cab, tip the skycap at the airport, plus tip the baggage handler who crawled into the luggage bay to withdrawal my bag so I could check the lethal knife that I’d forgotten was hanging off my carry-on.



Our flight home was uneventful and I made it home in one piece.

P.S. It wasn't until the day after we got home that the news broke about the Swine Flu outbreak. We didn't know anything about it. Actually, I'm not sure anyone did until we got back. But as of this writing, most of the cases came from Cancun and Mexico City. I'm sure I would have assumed I had Swine Flu and who knows what they would have done. I'd have probably had to be quarantined in a Mexican hospital. I was also worried that other countries weren't going to let me in because I had a recent Mexican stamp on my passport, but I guess they really don't look that closely at things.

P.P.S. I was contacted by a couple who saw my photos of La Estancia. They own one of the units, actually as close as you can get to ocean in a two bedroom unit. They can offer better prices than anything you can find. Their website is http://www.villalaestanciaoceanfront.com

Their names are Brad & Joey Aronson. Tell them I sent you.

No comments: