Monday, March 5, 2012

After The Fast: Day Two

The first day back to work was a good test. I got up and did the exact routine I set out for myself. I worked out, made breakfast, etc....My lunch was already packed the night before, and all my things ready to go. I posted the pictures of what I made yesterday.

For breakfast this morning, I made a Japanese dish called Tamagoyaki. It's basically a type of omelet, but it's got several layers to it. You start by pouring the egg mixture into a hot skillet, and as it sets, you roll one end up and over the rest till it looks like a burrito. Then you pour some more egg in, and roll the cooked part back over the setting egg mixture. You repeat this will you're out of egg and have 4-5 layers. You take the finished piece out of the pan, lay it on a sushi mat, and press it firmly into a more or less square shape. Then you cut it into 1" pieces, let them cool, then put them in your lunch box.

Japenese Tamagoyaki


My intention this morning was just to make a breakfast burrito, but I had seen this recipe and wanted to try it, so I did. It turned out great, if not somewhat bland since I just beat the eggs. Also, I needed about half of what I made. I'd done 4 eggs because our chickens are fairly young and the eggs are still kind of small. I could do 3 eggs, and still have breakfast, and part of lunch.

Next time, I'm going to add green onion, diced jalepenos and kosher salt. Should go great with brown rice and soy sauce.

In Japan, these use special pans made just for this. Tamagoyaki is a very big deal in Japan. I just used a small round, nonstick pan. Worked splendidly.




Here's a simple recipe. Just cut it in half for a two-egg portion.

4 ‘large’ eggs
1 Tbs. sugar
1 tsp. mirin
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. light soy sauce (usukuchi shoyu); you can use regular soy sauce instead
Oil for cooking

No comments: