Sunday, March 25, 2012

Smoke House Rice + Beans | Recipe

iPhone 4S + Hipsamatic
After juicing for most of the day yesterday (except for lunch), and all day today (except for dinner), I made dinner tonight, with the plan to have a good bit of leftovers for lunch for a couple of days. I had some smoked Tofu that I bought at the Asia market that I'd been wanting to try out, and this seemed like the time to do it.

I wanted to make a rice and beans dish that usually would have called for Chorizo or some other smokey sausage, and I figured the smoked tofu would substitute well.

I thought it turned out amazing. Very good smokiness, with just the right amount of heat. I didn't really follow a recipe, I just kind of made it up as I went along. It tasted nothing like a vegetarian meal, but more like something you'd expect Cowboys or Lumberjacks to eat. It was big, bold, spicy and smokey!

This dish has more than enough protein, good fiber with the brown rice, low salt, low sugar, low calorie. It's all good stuff. :) Serve it with a salad and you've got a pretty balanced meal.

Smoke House Rice and Beans with Smoked Tofu and Chipotle Chilis.
Serves 4 (more or less)

Ingredients:
Brown Rice (8 cups cooked)

2 Tbls Olive Oil

1 lb of Smoked Tofu (cut into small pieces)*

1 Can Black Beans
1 Can Kidney Beans
2 Carrots (diced)
2 Celery Stalks (diced)
2 Onions (diced)
3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
2 Cups of Sweet Corn
1/2 Small Can Chipotles (in Adobo)
2 Cups of Tomato Sauce
2 Tbls of Cilantro (finely chopped)
1 Lime (I used a lemon because I didn't have any limes)

Start your rice (I used a rice cooker which is one of my favorite things ever).

Heat a large cast iron skillet with the olive oil and add the garlic, onions, carrots and celery. Cook about 5 minutes on medium heat until onions begin to go clear. Add the Tofu, Chipotles, Beans (with the liquid), Corn and Tomato Sauce. Simmer for 20-30 minutes until most of the liquid cooks off. Add the corn near the end.

Place 2 cups of Rice on the plate and ladle 1 cup of the rice and bean mixture on top. Squeeze fresh Lime juice on top and garnish with the Cilantro.

*I found the smoked Tofu at an Asian Market, but I'm going to try smoking some myself. It tasted like you'd expect it to taste and had the consistency of Smoked Gouda. Pretty good actually.

No comments: