Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The French Make Shitty Vegetarians | Ottawa

Unlike many so-called "patriotic" Americans, I like the French. Fashion, culture, food, wine, appreciate of the arts. What's not to love? But they would make shitty vegetarians. Or at least they don't set a good example for eating well, at least not in the west. I'm sure I could live in Paris, eat like them and be perfectly healthy.

But alas. I'm at a brasserie in Ottowa and this is a list of the appetizers*: 

1. Musssels and Frites
2. Pan-seared Quebec Foie Gras
3. Foie Gras Mousse
4. Duck Poutine
5. Escargot Gratiné
6. Chicken Liver Parfait
7. Steak Tartare

Since I haven't been eating meat, this was not a good development, but what truly unnerved me was the glamorous couple next to me, laughing and eating pommes frites that smelled like bliss and elegance. How can something that smells so good be bad for you? I'm sure they were dusted with sea salt.

iPhone 4S + Hipstamatic


Consequently, I ended up with the ceviche, which was pretty good (it wasn't pomme frites) but it had huge pieces of fish. Not the way I'm accustomed to seeing it prepared. The glass of champagne I had, helped to soften the blow of no pomme frites, let along no foie gras, but the old me would have definitely had several glasses of Chardonnay, along with the pomme frites AND maybe the foie gras, and THEN gone out to dinner. Ce la vie.

I want to be skinny. I want to be skinny. I want to be skinny. Ok, I'm back.

*In the spirit of full disclosure, I didn't mention the Asparagus Vinagarette and the Wild Mushroom Risotto dishes on the menu, because my story was better without those additions. Though neither are particularly healthy either. I don't like asparagus, wrapped in bacon though it was.

No comments: